Thursday, April 16, 2009

What's this Tea Party Thing All About?

There's been a lot of talk about how the "economic stimulus", TARP, bailout, or whatever the heck you want to call it is a virtual mortgaging of our children and grandchildren's futures. It's true. This is a loan made to the US by US taxpapers and by other countries, China, for example.

Personally, I'm not concerned about what happens after I'm gone. I don't have kids, so while I do care, in a philosophical manner, about what happens to your kids, I'm frankly more concerned about what this is going to do to my life.

If that sounds shallow, I won't apologize for it. I'm looking at this thing from my point of view; you look at things from your point of view. If you have kids, God bless you for that. You have to be more aware of what this is going to do to your descendants. If I were you, I'd be looking for pitchforks and barrels of boiling tars.

I believe that the money I earn belongs to me. Not to the United States government. I am willing to give some to Uncle Sam to spend on national defense and infrastructure and some other things. I do not approve of the government taking money I earned and giving it to someone who didn't do anything to earn it, or to bail out a company that should fail because of bad business practices.

The Tea parties are about government spending, which includes taxation (we'll discuss that at another time). Or rather, the wild, out-of-control spending being done by our government representatives. They seem to think that because they have a printing press, they can spend whatever they want.

It's got to stop.

You can not spend your way out of debt. It simply can't happen.

Ask nearly anyone who's lost their house to foreclosure.

No comments: