Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Navy Seals Rule!

warning: I seem to be full of it today...awe, that is.


I've never been much of a Navy fan; most of my family (including my mother) served in the Army. Two of my favorite people in the world, my grandfather and uncle served in the Navy during WWI and WWII respectively, so I do hold the Navy in some esteem.


The Navy, as a military unit, is every bit as important as any other branch of the military, but today I have to say that the US Navy is awesome! The rescue of Captain Russell was nothing short of brilliant. I also have to give props to President Obama for finally (after being asked twice) giving permission to use deadly force to rescue that heroic captain. I have to wonder, couldn't this have been over much sooner had that permission been given, well, the day the captain was taken hostage?


I'm also in awe of Captain Russell for giving himself up as a hostage in lieu of the men in his command. Many say they would, but I wonder how many actually would. I hope no one reading this is ever in that position.


While I am in awe of the sharpsmanship of the Seals, it's really nothing less than I would expect of a Seal. With the training they get, this should have been just another day. But when it's happening, it never is. I once served on a hostage negotiation team. You train for events, hoping you never have to put your training to use. And when you do, your training kicks in, but things never go like they do in training scenarios. I admit, I never had to train or work an event on open seas.


I do know that the shots were taken on rolling seas - extraordinary shooting! It's exactly that that makes me say, "WOW! Brilliant shooting!....but...that's what they do....WOW!!" So I'm in awe of what they can do and really can't described just how awed that they actually did it!


I'll just say it again...Navy Seals Rule!

No comments: