Sunday, May 08, 2005

Mother's Day

It's the second Sunday in May, the day we celebrate Mothers.I am not a mother (well, I have two cats, a dog, and a husband but that's slightly different), and my mothers (both birth and adoptive) have passed away (within days of each other as it happened), as did my mother-in-law.

So, even though they are gone, I'd like to thank each of them for what they did for me.

I'd like to thank my birth mother for giving me life and making the decision to allow someone else to raise me. A selfish woman would have insisted on keeping me and raising me on her own. We might have had a great life together, but by giving me to someone else, she showed selflessness and a great love for me and care for my future.

Thanks to Mom, the woman who took another woman's child into her home, heart, and family. She's the one who taught me to be independent, and to be the mature, responsible adult I am today. She gave me the values, morals, and ethics that I live by today.

And thanks to my mother-in-law. She raised the son who became my husband. She trusted me with his care, accepted me into their family, and treated me like a daughter.

All I can say is, thank you, to each of you. Each of you has my eternal respect and my love.

No comments: