Sunday, October 17, 2004

Troops for Truth

I said months ago that I would not post about Michael Moore. Well, I have to at least mention him and his film (to be referred to as the film or the Moore film). Now, before I go any farther, I will state that he has the absolute right to any opinion, the right to make this film, and the right to make money off it. I will not deny him that. In fact, I will stand up for that right.

That being said, other people have seen the need to show his to film be what it is: anti-Bush, anti-American, anti-war propaganda. It's full of half-truths, lies, and innuendos. He authorized his fans to make copies of the film and distribute them to troops overseas. It's been devastating to troop morale (here and here). Just what the troops need, to be questioning their reasons for being there when they are fighting for their very lives. Then he wrote a book based on letters he received from troops and their families.

Moore has made millions off this film. He's making appearances all over the country to tout the film. I personally don't believe that student union fees should be spend to pay him to appear (I also don't think student fees should pay for any political appearance, not just those with whom I have political disagreement), but that's another post.

I want to bring to your attention a film called Fahrenhype 9/11. The man behind this film is Dick Morris, who used to work for the Clinton's. He saw the need to show the truth and produced this DVD: Fahrenhype 9/11 (here's the IMdB link and a Google search link). It's available on DVD now through Overstock.com for $14.99. The original post is found at JunkYardBlog.

Troopsfortruth.org is asking for donations so that the DVD can be distributed to our troops in Iraq to counteract the effects of the Moore film. You can purchase the DVD for yourself or make a donation toward the purchase of DVD for the troops. The goal is to get one DVD for every 10 troops on the platoon level. Overstock.com has already put 5,000 DVD's in Iraq, but they need more. You can read about Overstock's contribution here.

Overstock is working with KeystoneSoldiers.com Keystone is an "interactive site to aid in the communication between deployed soldiers and their families as well as for the public to show their support for our troops." Keystone is collecting names and addresses where DVD's can be sent overseas.

You can purchase your own copy, make a donation toward a DVD, or purchase a copy to be shipped directly to a soldier overseas. I'll be making a donation and purchasing a copy of my own. I'll also put a link on the sidebar.

If you are a blogger, how about pushing this? If you blog about this, let me know and I'll link it. We know how we in the blogosphere can make a difference, why don't we use our might to prove it? This is certainly a good cause.

No comments: