Saturday, October 23, 2004

Saturday Ramblings Around the Blogosphere And A Few Rambling Thoughts

When I was a kid, my family used to go on rambling Saturday afternoon drives. Now I ramble around the blogosphere.

Since you won't see it on Sinclair after all (story here), watch Stolen Honor here, here, and here. Thanks to Dean's World.

John Hawkins uses quotes by and about Kerry to show his character at Right Wing News. And David Limbaugh says he can't show who he really is.

Drudge links to a story about Bill Clinton wanting to replace Kofi Annan in 2006.

Claims of voter intimidation. Whoever is doing it is wrong and should be ashamed of themselves. I don't care which party, it's wrong. Period. And what's with Danny DeVito and Rhea Perlman showing up at the polls in DelRay Beach? Did they move?

Early voting: I might call the Elections office this week to find out how the lines are. I've been hearing it's taking hours to vote early. If it's gonna take that much time, I'll wait until election day. If I get to work late, so be it.

Here's a Mom who has to say no to her daughters wanting to see a haunted house. Oh, how my heart bleeds. No concern about buying groceries or paying the mortgage. And more from Michelle Malkin about Hysterical Women for Kerry.

The Debates. They are over. I didn't see more than 5 minutes total of all three debates, but I am sure Kerry technically won all three. He is a trained lawyer. Lawyers study debating. Bush isn't a debater so he didn't do as well technically. But, you know what? The only people who care about the technique are debaters. I really don't care if Kerry had a pen or crib notes. I don't care if Bush was wired. The debates are behind us. Everybody just quit whining about who did better. In the long run, most people care more about the substance of what was said than the techniques.

Just had a phone call about the environment that started out, "Did you know that George Bush failed..." it only got that far when I asked, "I suppose you want me to vote for Kerry?". The woman on the other end said, "It doesn't matter who you vote for." Me: "Then why are you making this phone call?" Dead silence. Me: "Uh, huh. Thought so." And I hung up. Phone callers: I don't care if you want to make calls for a candidate or cause, just be honest. When you start out saying "So and So failed..." you're not telling me you want me to vote for So and So. You want me to vote for someone else, you might not care who, but you don't want my vote to go for So and So. You're being dishonest, at least to yourself.

Flu shots: Those with heart problems (Dick Cheney and Bill Clinton), and other at-risk health problems should get it. If you're healthy, you don't need it. You might get the flu, but you'll get over it. I got a flu shot only two or three times. Never got the flu, with or without. I won't get one this year, or any other year unless I become at-risk. So if I get the flu, and I'm healthy, God willing, I'll get over it.

Vaccine shortage: Part of the reason there is a shortage is because the companies that produce the vaccines don't want to be sued if someone dies. Too many trial lawyers have made a fortune suing drug companies that the drug companies just said no. There's more to it than this, of course, but remember, the dollar is usually the bottom line.

I heard about a question asked of voters (which group, I don't know) as to who they thought would win, not who they wanted to win, but who would win. The majority said Bush. I remember, back in the day when I was a Democrat, had I heard that, I probably would have voted for Bush, "because he was probably gonna win anyway." Isn't that good reasoning? Unfortunately, people think that way, so I'm sure President Bush will win some votes that way. Too bad people can't think for themselves.

Small Town Veteran speaks out.

Here's a link to the photo of President Bush hugging Ashley Faulkner. Read the story behind the photo. I see the pain on his face remembering what happened to her mother and how much he would give to make it all go away. I see the memories in his eyes. In this photo, he's not the President. He's a father trying to comfort a child who lost her mother in the most horrific event in American history. We can't forget what happened. We can't go back to September 10th. To do so, we would be invalidating the deaths of nearly 3000 people. We can only go forward. I see compassion in this face, I see faith, and I see character. Do I have to say it again? It is all about character.

No comments: