Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Once Again...With Feeling!

I attempted to post this last night, but somehow managed to lose the post! grrrrrr!

Since we are 63 days until the election, I wanted to put my favorite issue out on the table: the Fair Tax Act. Yes, I think it's the most important issue after national security, but that's my opinion, you might think the most important thing is something else altogether. Neither of us are wrong...well, maybe you are. Just kidding! I've blogged about this before, and it's that important that this needs to be on the forefront for the next two months, so you'll see more about the FTA.

Most middle class Americans are living from paycheck to paycheck. I know there are some weeks where money is very tight and others where it's not quite as tight, but still not much money left after the bills are paid. The Fair Tax Act would eliminate all Federal payroll taxes. You'd still be paying state and local taxes, and if you have deductions for health insurance and the like, you'll still have to pay those. I'm talking about withholding and FICA taxes. In my case, that's over $600 a month that could go to pay off bills, mortgage, car payments, buy groceries, household repairs, car repairs, and should we dare say it? a vacation!

I'm going to link to some areas in the Fair Tax web site that I think you would like to see.

Here is a thumbnail sketch of the FTA.

Here is where you'll find FAQ's.

If you're anything like me, you like to do some research before making decision. This is where you'll find research papers explaining how various industries would be affected by the FTA. And here are some more links that might help you figure out where you stand.


This is what Alexander Hamilton had to say about taxation.

A policy paper from the Cato Institute.

Here is where you'll find how your representatives stand on the Fair Tax. I think you'll be surprised to see how many have refused to commit. I will be watching the primaries to see which candidates will be running in the general election and who supports the Fair Tax.

And finally, a comparison of the Fair Tax, the Flat Tax, and the current Income Tax.

The idea is, you earned this money. It should be yours and yours alone. The government takes it away, and very graciously gives some of it back you in the form of a refund. And to get the refund, you have to fill out forms proving to the government that you deserve to get your own money back. Then, if you're really lucky, you are audited and have to prove to someone who probably doesn't understand the tax code much better than you do, that you really deserve the refund. Let's repeal this form of legal theft and keep our own money!

Let's make April 15 just another day.

No comments: