Saturday, July 17, 2004

And He Plays the Race Card
 
Diversity promoter Asa Khalif, who has made headlines for accusing celebrities of insensitivity, cried foul in the Goldberg firing. "I smell racism from beginning to end," said Khalif, head of Racial Unity USA in Pennsylvania. "SlimFast must realize that black women have every right to voice their views."
 
What has being a black woman have to do with this? I would be saying exactly the same thing no matter who the spokesman was. Mr. Khalif does not mention that Whoopi has a  Jewish last name. Why isn't he crying foul about black, Jewish women voicing their views? (I have no idea whether Whoopi is Jewish or not, nor do I care whether or not she's Jewish, and that's not my point in any case.) The color of their skin, gender, sexual preference, age, none of these make a difference when it comes to what was said.
 
Apparently, because Whoopi is a black woman, she can say whatever she wants without consequence. That's what I read from Mr. Khalif's statement. Again, someone is failing to get it: Life has consequences.

No comments: