Saturday, June 12, 2004

Celebration of Life

I wasn't able to watch the National Cathedral services yesterday as it was a work day for me. I planned to listen on the radio, but work kept interfering. Go figure! I had thought about watching the evening service on C-SPAN, but decided that I wanted the commentary on FOX.

I turned the TV on about 730p (Eastern time) and watched as the plane bringing Mr. Reagan back to California for the last time began it's descent. I watched as his body was lowered from the plane and carried to the hearse. I was amazed, though I don't know why I should have been, as crowds gathered to pay their last respects as the hearse traveled to the Reagan Library. People stopped their cars on the opposite side of the freeway to watch the motorcade take Mr. Reagan on his final trip to his resting place.

While waiting for the hearse and the Reagan contingent to arrive, FOX showed scenes at the Library as guests entered. I heard the band playing hymns that took me back to my childhood and I sang along with those hymns. It's interesting how calming those hymns always are to me. I'm ashamed to admit that I had forgotten too many of the words, but I remembered the melodies and the words slowly came back. The guests showed the respect that any deceased person deserved, and I didn't expect any less of them.

I enjoyed hearing the Reagan children, Michael, Patti, and Ron talk about their father. It was obvious to me, that although there were rifts in their family relationships, that they all loved their father very much. I'm very glad that they will have fond memories which will keep him alive in their hearts.

The only disturbing moment was one I expected, but still distressed me. It was when Mrs. Reagan went to the coffin for her last goodbye and began to cry. I wanted this to be a private moment. I don't think her grief needed to be shown to the rest of the world. The moment was saved, for me, when her children gathered around her, to give her their love and support. There was nothing they could do to alleviate the grief and loss she felt, but they were there for her.

I saw the entire ceremony as a celebration of his life, not a mourning of his death. I believe that Mr. Reagan would have wanted it that way.

No comments: