Saturday, June 13, 2009

Ask for An American

I want to share with you some great information that I found out purely by accident. I believe it can also save and create jobs in America while giving people better customer service.

So how many times have you called a companies service phone line and found that the rep. can barely speak English? Once with a major mortgage company it was so bad I demanded to speak with someone who spoke English. Right at that moment I broke the code, the secret password for customer service.

Come to find out that every American company using overseas operators must transfer you to an American rep. By saying......."I want to speak to a representative in America" (don't take no for an answer on this).

This was confirmed by the American rep. That they must transfer you after that request. I've tried it on a half a dozen major companies including cable, bank, phone and mortgage companies. It works every time and I actually get my issues taken care of.

Last thing to help save even more jobs.... Don't use the automated check out lanes they are pushing at the big box stores. Once again I found out that if we use those check outs rather than cashiers people lose their jobs too. I've refused to use the automated check outs and have had two cashiers already thank me for help saving their job.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


True? I don't know, I haven't had reason to test the "code" yet. Maybe you or my other reader knows about this?

As for the automated check out lanes, I don't use them. I'm sure the stores that use them say it is to help out the customers, so they don't have to wait in line. Well.....excuse me, but can't the store hire cashiers to man the registers they already have?

It's a pet peeve I've had with Walmart for years. They build stores with 20-30 checkout registers and have maybe five open. On a really good day, I've seen eight or ten open. I have NEVER seen more than half of the registers open in any Walmart I've been in, even during the busy Christmas season. I shop at Walmart often so I know whereof I speak on this matter.

Unlike other people, I like Walmart. I shop there often. But really, where else is there to shop? I won't go to the mall - especially at night or on the weekend. Too many gangbangers wandering around (it's not my imagination or fears. I work in law enforcement and know the gang situation). My top complaints about the store, however, is that there is never anyone to be found to ask questions of (such as where to find an item), and there are never enough registers open.

Wait. I'm wrong about one thing I just wrote. Electronics and the garden section seem to be exceptions, and there is usually someone blocking an aisle in the grocery area stocking shelves. There is usually someone in jewelry, automotive, and, of course, in the pharmacy. Anytime I've seen an employee working in, say, the clothing department, it's been noteworthy.

It's sad, really. Along with the discount pricing you get discount service. And honestly? Sometimes the discount pricing isn't so discount anymore.

No comments: