Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Is It a Matter of Character?

Newt Gingrich is concerned about Senator Obama's speech in a way that I touched on in a previous post but didn't identify: character.

Does this issue speak to Obama's character? Obama sat in Trinity United Church of Christ for twenty years listening to Reverend Wright's sermons. I'm not about to say all of Reverend Wright's sermons were as controversial as those sound bites we've all now heard, but Obama himself says he was there and heard at least some of the comments.

I wonder: how could he sit there for twenty years, hearing even one such sermon per year and not object to what he was hearing? Here are a few of Obama's comments:

But the remarks that have caused this recent firestorm weren’t simply controversial. They weren’t simply a religious leader’s effort to speak out against perceived injustice...

...they expressed a profoundly distorted view of this country – a view that sees white racism as endemic, and that elevates what is wrong with America above all that we know is right with America...

As such, Reverend Wright’s comments were not only wrong but divisive, divisive at a time when we need unity; racially charged at a time when we need to come together...

I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother – a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe.

I don't expect him to disown anyone. But, if he won't, or can't, stand up to the man who he considers his spiritual leader, or his grandmother, two people who should be able, through their love of him, to accept his thoughtful, loving, correction of their words and attitudes, can we hope he will be able to tell Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Kim Jong-il of North Korea, or even Raul Castro of Cuba to go pound sand if it becomes necessary?

Obama has explained his feelings toward Reverend Wright. Now we must thoughtfully consider our understanding his character.

1 comment:

Sarah J. Flashing said...

It is interesting how Obama describes his pastors words as "racially charged" and not outright racist. He calls then divisive...he very carefully chooses his words. Great post!