Monday, August 20, 2007

Summertime, and the Livin' Ain't So Easy

Pretty much the whole country is complaining about the weather - it's too wet, it's too dry, it's too hot. I even heard someone complaining about the low temps where they live.

Well, I live in Florida. Our humidity is around 75% most of the year. Add to that summer temps - today was 96 degrees and more of the same for tomorrow. The dog days of summer are here.

I remember the days when most people living in Florida didn't have air conditioning. My parents broke down and got a window unit when my dad was working night shift and, of course, sleeping during the day. I think my brother was in the Army and assigned to Homestead Air Force Base at the time. He was able to live at home at the time and was also working a night shift.

Anyway, I believe that was the beginning of our descent into the arms of comfortable living. I think those might have also been the days when I stayed indoors because of the heat, spending my days in front of the boob tube, beginning a life long love affair with television. Not to mention the love affair with soda and snacks.

Why am I waxing nostalgic on those not so great old days of yore, the days before the great god of Air Conditioning entered our lives. I have been reliving those days. My ac went belly-up over the weekend. I really hoped it would be a quick, simple fix. HA!! The GGofAC laughed in my face. "You are taking me for granted and not giving me due respect so I will take your chilled air away for a time and show you!" And so it is.

I called an air conditioning company today. The unit is a 1991 model, meaning it's 16 years old and just can't handle it anymore. The condenser is shot. The GGofAC is laughing his you-know-what off. Luckily, I have some room on my credit card and not else in the way of bills to pay.

My poor animals are all lying on the cooler (than the rest of the room) floor, trying to find a cool spot. I put a fan on the floor so at least they would have some moving air. It's actually cooler outside than it is in my house right now. The dogs have been out several times enjoying the cool night air.

Actually, as warm as it is in the house, it's at least livable with fans moving the air around. It's not chilled, conditioned air, but it's moving. It does help. I had actually given some consideration to living without a/c for a couple of months. It will finally start to cool off in October, hopefully. No later than November for sure. Then I got up out of my chair and actually moved around. Nope, I like cool air.

I confess. I am Deborah and I am a air conditioningaholic.

No comments: