Thursday, May 10, 2007

Misinformation

On April 25th, I posted a letter I received in email. I received the following today. I apologize for perpetuaing something that was apparently incorrect in content and can rectify that by publishing the following. I also am tired of misinformation that is perpetuated on the Internet. I do note that the email was "signed" by Lt. Col Joe Repya and the following is "signed" by Lt. Col. Dave Rapya. I have not changed a word of either and can't explain the different names, so, dear reader, make up your own mind.

I'm tied of misinformation. This is my original letter.

"I'm Tired"
Two weeks ago, as I was starting my sixth month of duty in Iraq, I was forced to return to the USA for surgery for an injury I sustained while in Iraq. When I recuperate they will want me to return to Iraq to finish my tour. I left Baghdad and a war that has every indication that we are losing, to return to a demoralized country much like the one I returned to in 1971 after my tour in Vietnam. Maybe it's because I'll turn 60 years old in just four months, but I'm tired:

I'm tired of spineless politicians, both Democrat and Republican who lack the courage, fortitude, and character to see anything but shallow solutions that are based on waging war.

I'm tired of the hypocrisy of politicians who want to rewrite history by rushing to war when the going gets tough.

I'm tired of the disingenuous clamor from those that claim they 'Support the Troops' by forcing them to re-enlist while not supporting them when they return home.

I'm tired of a mainstream media that can only focus on car bombs and casualty reports because they are too afraid to show the real story of civilian deaths and atrocities at the hands of our military.

I'm tired that so many Americans think you can enforce democracy through war.

I'm tired that so many ignore the bravery of the Iraqi people to go about their daily lives.

I'm tired of the so called 'Elite Right' that prolongs this war by justifying it with lies.

I'm tired that my generation, the Baby Boom-Vietnam generation, have such a weak backbone that they can't or won't stand up and protest war as a course they no longer support.

Mostly, I'm tired that the people of this great nation didn't learn from history that war does not solve problems, it creates problems.

Sincerely,

Dave Rapya,
Lieutenant Colonel, U. S. Army
101st Airborne Division

# posted by Anonymous : May 10, 2007 1:46 PM

No comments: