Friday, November 03, 2006

Kerry's Apology

As a combat veteran, I want to make it clear to anyone in uniform and to their loved ones: my poorly stated joke at a rally was not about, and never intended to refer to any troop.

I sincerely regret that my words were misinterpreted to wrongly imply anything negative about those in uniform, and I personally apologize to any service member, family member, or American who was offended
.

It is clear the Republican Party would rather talk about anything but their failed security policy. I don’t want my verbal slip to be a diversion from the real issues. I will continue to fight for a change of course to provide real security for our country, and a winning strategy for our troops.

Not much of an apology in my opinion. Once again, I question how anyone could "misinterpret" his statement. I thought it was pretty clear. He said what he said. Once the toothpaste is out of the tube, you can't put it back in again, no matter whether you meant to squeeze it out or not. It appears to me that Senator Kerry's handlers have decided to blame the Republicans for their reactions to Kerry's words. Wrong tact.

Whether Kerry diverted from his prepared statement and attempted to make a joke, or just stated what he really though, doesn't really matter. Kerry shouldn't try to blame someone else for responding to what he say. Kerry is a public political figure and every word he utters are subject to scrutiny.

Once again, Mr. Kerry, I suggest that you apologize and take the lumps for your words. I've often said that the American public forgives (and then forgets) almost anything if you admit the mistake, explain (briefly) what you really meant to say, apologize for it, and then move on. Don't try to rationalize what you said. Don't whine that someone is reacting to what you said. If reporters continue to ask questions, briefly acknowledge your mistake, repeat the apology then move on - again.

It's when you continue to whine about what others are saying that you imprint the incident on the American mind. We'll forget it once we've heard the explanation and the apology. Unless you keep it alive.