Monday, November 28, 2005

Jury Duty

I received a jury summons in the mail a couple of weeks ago. My first thought was, oh boy, why me? I filled out the questionaire, noted that I had a parking permit so that I wouldn't have to pay for parking and took the summons itself to work so that I could arrange to take the day off.

One of the questions asked was whether you are employed, and if you are compensated if you are called for jury duty. In Florida, apparently the law has changed. Used to be, the state would pay a daily per diem and mileage. Now, if you are employed and paid for the time, you will not be paid by the state. If you are not employed, or your employer will not pay your salary while on jury duty, you will get a cool $15 a day (wow!!) for the first two or three days, and $30 per day for the rest of your time on the jury. Obviously, no one gets rich on jury duty in Florida!.

Like most other people, I realize and really do believe, that it's incumbent upon Americans to do their duty by voting and to serve on juries. But it's also the American way to expect everyone else to to their duty; but we, ourselves, should be exempt. We grumble about it and try to find ways to avoid jury duty, but most of us go anyway. Grumbling, moaning, and groaning all the way, but we do it. And come out better for it, usually, with a renewed sense of pride at having done our duty.

I parked in the parking garage, put my permit in the window and walked toward the courthouse. As I was about to cross the street, a woman asked where the courthouse was. Her name was Veronica and we became jury pals. We chatted as we crossed the street and up the steps into the courthouse into the security lobby. We went through the metal detectors. I did not set off any alarms (yay!), although Veronica was wanded and then allowed to go through.

We went into the jury assembly room and checked in. In the old days, I was in and out of the courthouse quite often, and knew a lot (most?) of the people who worked there, or at least knew them by sight. Since it's been over ten years since I transferred from that job, I wouldn't have been a bit surprised if I saw no one at all I knew. I knew no one at the metal detectors and they are Sheriff's Office employees. As it turned out, the woman assisting the Jury Coordinator recognized me. I had to look at her name tag (remember it has been about 10 years since I've seen her) and then remembered who she was. We chatted for a moment to catch up and then Veronica and I found seats.

Our summonses said to report at 800 a.m. but people kept trailing in until 8:45. I noticed a sign that gave the judges names. Of the four judges listed, I actually knew three of them by sight, and knew of the fourth. Judge Henderson was the one I knew best and "back in the day" when he was "just" a lawyer, he knew me by name, and I knew him well enough to call him by his first name (today his first name is "Judge."). I also worked with his dad "back in the day". He was one proud Daddy the day his son became a judge.

Here in Manatee County, all potential jurors are summonsed on Monday for all trials that week. We watched a video on jury duty. Apparently this video is the standard for introducing the jury system. Manatee County in the forefront once again! Then Judge Nicholas came in, introduced himself and thanked us for our service (as if we really had a choice). He explained that many cases are settled on Monday morning so not all of us would be required (there were approximately 125 of us crowded into the jury assembly room). He didn't say it, but many people realize that the offer made by the opposition is probably better than what they face if they actually go to trial, so they'll take the offer to settle their civil case or the offer for the plea deal in a criminal case. Judge Nicholas simply said that many cases are settled because things just come together at the last minute.

If you are actually empaneled on a jury, your trial may be held on Monday or scheduled for another day, so you might have to come back on Tuesday, or even Wednesday or Thursday. Most trials are one day events. All of the criminal cases to be held this week are scheduled for one day. The civil cases could run two or three days. Judge Nicholas asked all the important information such as whether we were licenced drivers, legal residents of Florida and Manatee County, and over 18. Then he went on to the "important" questions such as whether any of us were the governor, cabinet members, clerks of court, or judges. None of us were, so we were declared as so far acceptable for jury duty.

Judge Henderson later came in and told us that all civil trials had been settled and there were only two criminal trials. He joked around a little and then left to go to his courtroom. I don't know whether he ever saw me, or if he did see me if he recognized me. My guess is that he didn't see me (there were a bunch of people there after all), or if he did, it was more, "where do I know her from?"

After Judge Henderson left, Marlene, the Jury Coordinator, announced that the potential jury panels had been selected from the questionaires we received with our summonses and turned in when we checked in. She called the first 25 names. I wasn't one of them. Veronica also missed the first call. Veronica thought for a moment her name was called, but it was a different last name. So we waited till the next panel was called.

Marlene began calling names again. Veronica was called. And my name wasn't. Not that I'm really complaining, but, I still can't believe that I wasn't called. My jury duty requirement has been satisfied for the next year. And if I get another summons, I can legally, morally, ethically, and without regret, check off the box that states I have served within the last twelve months.
Update: I've since found that I'm in good company in receiving a summons for jury duty. President Bush himself received a summons to appear in Crawford County. Yes, He received a deferment, but I think in this case, it's justifiable. Senator Kerry also recently served on a jury, and was elected foreman. In my personal opinion, lawyers should be exempt, after all, they do have more knowledge of the law than the average person does. And, most prosecutors and defense lawyers want the jury panel to know only what they are told about the law, it might be a problem to have an actual lawyer on the panel. Well, that's my opinion after all.
I wonder why their service received more media attention than mine did. hmmm..I wonder....

No comments: