Saturday, July 30, 2005

The Highway Bill or How Your State Earned Its Allowance

From CHUCK MUTH'S NEWS & VIEWS
July 30, 2005

So exactly what's in that bloated Transportation bill? Here's a sampling of the "high priority" highway projects the REPUBLICAN-controlled House of Representatives passed this week:

* $220,000 for one line-item for trolley buses in Puerto Rico
* $366,000 for one line-item for intermodal transportation at the Bronx Zoo
* $835,000 for a second line-item for intermodal transportation at the Bronx Zoo
* $4.2 million for intermodal transportation at the Philadelphia Zoo
* $146,000 for a second line-item for trolley buses in Puerto Rico
* $1.3 million for sidewalk lighting and landscaping around Cedar's-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles
* $1.3 million for a daycare center and park-and-ride facility in Champaign, IL
* $1.7 million for an intermodal park and ride facility at the Museum of Latin American Art, Long Beach, CA
* $2 million for a third line-item for intermodal transportation at the Bronx Zoo
* $440,000 for a bike path in Powers, OR
* $480,000 for pedestrian and bicycle sidewalks, lighting, and handicapped ramps in Miramar, FL
* $200,000 for trails and bike paths on Bird Mountain, TN
* $960,000 for a bike path in Riverhead, NY
* $2.3 million for landscaping enhancements "for aesthetic purposes" along the Ronald Reagan Freeway, CA
* $240,000 for boardwalks at Pismo Beach, San Luis Obispo, CA
* $1.6 million to enhance the Battery Park bikeway perimeter, New York City
* $200,000 for a historical trolley project in Issaquah, WA
* $200,000 for trails, bike paths, and recreational facilities on Black Mountain, TN
* $144,000 for paths and trails at the Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens, OH
* $160,000 for a bike path, Petal, MS
* $200,000 for a bike path "network", Evanston, IL
* $2.9 million for a bike path, Delta Ponds, OR
* $240,000 for bike and pedestrian improvements, Windermere, FL
* $2.4 million for bike trail, Smyrna, TN
* $1.2 million for a bike trail, LaVergne, TN
* $800,000 for regional bike routes on existing highways, Austin, TX
* $480,000 to rehabilitate a historic warehouse, Lyons, NY
* $320,000 for a bike path from San Luis Obispo to Avila Beach, CA
* $280,000 for a bike path, Fairview Park, OH
* $600,000 for horse-riding trails, Jefferson National Forest, VA
* $2 million for a bike trail, Cookeville, TN
* $2 million for an intermodal bikeway, Independence, OH
* $640,000 for bike, pedestrian and other improvements at Georgia Veterans Memorial Park
* $1.2 million for pedestrian bicycle access project, Newark NJ
* $1.2 million for a bike path, East Long-meadow Redstone, MA
* $8 million for the Harlem Hospital parking facility
* $1.8 million for a bike path, Portage, WI
* $2.6 million for pedestrian walkway and bikeway improvements along the NYC Greenway System in Coney Island, NY
* $400,000 for a bike path in Dunkirk, NY
* $532,000 for a bike and pedestrian trail, Gallatin, TN

Tell me again why it's so important to elect Republicans to Congress.

Me again: Bike and pedestrian trails, parking facilities, boardwalks, landscaping. Yep, sounds "high priority" to me.

What do any of these have to do with "highways"? And why are any of them on a highway bill? Well, they will create (maybe) jobs for the cities and towns that receive this money. And silly me! I forgot the most important jobs! Keeping the congresscritter in office! By bringing money home, the voters will forget the disasterous things the congresscritter already did! Republicans and Democrats alike are guilty of backing stupid legislation.

Taxpayer money gives congresscritters (and voters) amnesia. The voter's memory is only as long as the last thing the congressional rep did.

What taxpayers forget is that money "brought home" by their congresscritter is their money to start with. It should have stayed home in the first place and shouldn't have gone to Washington to be "given back". Why should Florida money (or Texas or Maine, or Iowa or Oregon or whatever state's) go to Washington so that the Feds can "give it back" in the form of "highway bills"?

Sort of makes me think of a kid giving money to Mom and Dad so that Mom and Dad will give it back as "allowance."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree about taking my money and giving "me" back 75%...

But I would much prefer most of the items on your list to more lanes on I-75 (and I admit I drive on it almost every day). We need other transit options... more lanes will never solve traffic problems.

Joe Moraca
Sarasota Livin'

Kitten said...

I agree that more lanes on I-75 would not be much help (and don't even get me started on the shoddy construction). I would also like to have better transit options, but I think we can both agree it ain't gonna happen.

My point was that most of the items on the "highway" bill have nothing to do with highways. Perhaps I am being too literal, but it looks like a lot of pork to me.

And I object to politicians bringing home pork, especially when done to ensure their re-election.

Anonymous said...

Hello Blogger, I was surfing blogs and paused at your title this post. Thats what really caught my eye. I am promoting a horse home decor related website and need to find more information to offer some of my internet friends. Not exactly what I was looking for but you have givin me some good ideas about what could be done with my horse home decor related site that I will book mark and come back to hopefully get some more education from your site, you have some good stuff maybe you could visit my website and let me know what you think in my contact page. Just click on the link horse home decor. Thank you and I wish you well .

Anonymous said...

Hey Blogger GREAT title this post. Thats what actually caught my eye. I was surfing blogs to try and help my customers and visitors with information on my website about ##Keyword## and paused to read but ran out of time. I will book mark it and come back to read later. This isn't really what I was looking for what I really need is information about http://www.horse-lover-gift-ideas-central.com related subjects but thank you and I shall return. I wish you well.