Thursday, November 20, 2003

Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

I'm watching one of my favorite programs: Most Extreme Elimination Challenge (Spike TV). Okay, it's not Masterpiece Theater, but I enjoy it.

In case you don't know, some years ago (and for all I know currently playing) Japanese television had a program called Takeshi's Castle where contestants performed stunts for prizes. On the American version, they've taken excepts from Takeski's Castle and dubbed in English dialog. The show's narrators are Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano who do a play-by-play description of what is happening on screen. Other characters are Captain Tennille (a play on the Captain and Tennille) and Guy le Douche (I don't think I have to explain this one). They are not using the original dialog, but substituting their own version. Puns and double entendres abound (it is Spike TV after all) and punny names and occupations for the contestants such as Bonnie Ann Clyde are rife. It's not meant to be serious, but is a funny show.

It was filmed in Japan, so the contestants are mostly Japanese, but I've seen several Western faces. The contestants also wear funny costumes too, such as peanuts, samurai warriors, pig noses, fright wigs, and more I can't name right now.

Okay, I'm easily entertained, but I am a government employee, after all!

No comments: