Sunday, May 01, 2005

Sunday Ramblings

Social Security Reform....by June? From The Washington Times: House Republicans will craft by June a broad retirement bill that includes Social Security reform and aims to accomplish the goals President Bush outlined on television Thursday night, Capitol Hill party leaders said yesterday.

Mass Graves Found South of Baghdad. A grave containing perhaps as many as 1500 bodies was uncovered, most of them women and children. One hundred ten bodies have been uncovered; two-thirds of them children and teenagers. The bodies are thought to be Kurds from the town of Samawa and believed to date from the 1980's. Sure...women and children were a clear danger to the worm known as Saddam.

That brings me to a problem I've been having. I can't think of a word that properly describes Saddam Hussein. None are strong enough, not even the curse words I know. And while I don't usually use them, I do have a considerable vocabulary. I used "worm" above and even it seems to denigrate the worms of the Earth who have a legitimate place in the food chain. Any ideas?

The Minuteman Project: It wrapped up yesterday. And as far as most reports go, it was a rousing success. Here are the statistics through April 27.

North Korea Nuclear Test: North Korea has launched a short range missle into the Sea of Japan. China and Japan need to be on top of this and we need to keep an eye on this situtation. Kim Jung Il (I hope I have that right) doesn't have any business with a "toy" like this. I think he plans to use it as blackmail once again. Give me money or I'll launch a real one! China needs to sit him down and tell him the facts of life. We got more people than you do and we will send our troops in if you don't knock it off.

Martha Stewart: In her own words, Martha Stewart admits to leaving the jurisdiction of her monitoring bracelet. She states that she walks up the hills on her estate for exercise. Her monitor does not allow her to go further than a specific distance from the monitor. Now, do I want her back in jail? Not necessarily, but I believe she's getting special treatment because of who she is. The average person on house arrest would not be granted the exemptions she's apparently been given. Granted that the average person does not run the multimillion dollar empire that she runs, but rules are in place for a reason and Martha is not having to follow them. In the long run, do I really care? Only because she's getting treatment others are not getting, otherwise, no. She's not important enough for me to care about.

No comments: