Monday, May 02, 2005

The Runaway Bride

Okay, this is my last word until more information comes out. You know the story: Jennifer Wilbanks ran away from her Duluth, Georgia home only four days before her wedding. She took a bus from Georgia to Las Vegas to Albuequerque, New Mexico. When she got to Albueguerque, she called both the Albuequerque PD and her home and told everyone that she had been abducted.

I don't pretend to know why she ran away. I think that she was simply overwhelmed, and maybe had a breakdown. I know I would be overwhelmed with the prospect of 28 people in my bridal party and 600 guests at the wedding. But that's me. I wouldn't have had that many people in the bridal party. Geez louise, I don't know that many women to ask to be in my bridal party. We wouldn't have had anyone to sit in the pews at the church if we'd had a bridal party that big! And 600 guests?! My church wouldn't have held that many, and between us, and our families we wouldn't have known that many people to invite.

Should she be charged with a crime? I don't know. I'll leave that up to people who know more than I do about Georgia law. Should Duluth and the county and maybe the state sue her for expenses incurred while they were searching for her? I'll leave that up to the authorities of those government entities.

My personal advice? Scale down the wedding, maybe Jennifer and John should elope and very quietly get married. The media will be unrelenting until: 1. Jennifer makes a statement about her "escape"; 2. Jennifer makes a personal appearance and they can drill her on the why's and wherefore's; and 3. Jennifer and John announce the new date. Then it will be on again. You know the media will be waiting to see if she runs again, right up until the moment they walk out of the church. That puts the spotlight and pressure back on Jennifer. And if she was overwhelmed before, just wait.

No comments: