Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Friends of the Border Patrol

I've found a new site (thanks to Tampa's own Mark Larsen and the Morning Magazine on WWBA1040 am) relating to the illegal alien problem. Find a link to Friends of the Border Patrol here and on the side bar.

Look, we've got to do something to get this situation under control. When I write, I generally write about the illegal alien who comes to find work and a better life. But there are illegal aliens who are here for other reasons. Drug dealers for one. Terrorists for another.

This is one area where President Bush and I are on opposite sides. He refuses to accept that this issue is as serious as many of us in the blogosphere do. Me? I think he is simply pandering to a large voting block. He wants the votes of (primarily) Hispanics who have relatives in Mexico and other Latin American countries. He's wrong on this issue.

He refuses to acknowledge that illegal aliens are just that: illegally in the US for whatever reason. They want to earn money and send it back to their home country (again, specifically talking about those who are looking for a better life). They like our money and the benefits they can get from the US (medical care and education for example) but they are showing disdain, contempt, and disrespect for our country by being here illegally.

It makes me mad to think of our President, a man I otherwise have a great deal of respect for, deliberately turning a blind eye to the contempt that illegal aliens show to our country. By ignoring the problem, he's part of the problem and is showing the same contempt for our laws that the illegals are showing. I can only hope that he plans to reform the immigration laws sometime in the next three years. I doubt it, but I can hope.

If it makes me a racist or a bigot because I obey the law of the United States and expect everyone, citizen and immigrant alike, to obey our laws, then so be it. I know I'm neither a racist or a bigot. I happen to believe that people who have respect for the US will respect our laws. And if your very first act on US soil is illegal, then you have no respect for my country and I don't want you here. Go home and come back legally. I'll welcome you with open arms.

No comments: